Friday, February 19, 2010

Lenten Prayers

We have been saying a Lenten prayer that I cut out of the church bulletin every night at supper. Today at lunch, Clayton stopped me from saying prayers and said he was going to say the lunch prayer. He grabbed the little piece of paper, held it up like he was reading and then said, "A hunting prayer. Dear Lord, please don't let us get lost in the woods. Please let there be lots of deer to kill. And if we do get lost, please let the police men find us."

On Ash Wednesday, I was trying to explain the season of Lent to Clayton. I told him that I was going to try to give up yelling at him. (I'm also giving up the computer during the day and unnecessary phone calls while the kids are awake...) Later, we were talking about almsgiving. Clayton is familiar with us donating things to Goodwill, so I used that as an example. After a moment or two, he looked up at me and asked, "Are you giving your yelling to Goodwill, too?" Just for the record, Clayton is supposed to be giving up being ornery to Levi and disobeying. That should make the yelling a lot easier.

No comments: